Monday, July 23, 2007

A Little Prick

Hey all. I am a little manic. I am having flights of thoughts racing through my gray matter. I am very talkative. I am alternating between happiness and irritation. I am a little touchy with dumb questions. My head almost feels tingly…or maybe that was all that crack I smoked. I can’t get cards out of my head at the moment.

I am proud of myself. After over a year of avoiding going in and getting my bloodwork done, and after going to the Dr and getting told to do it again, to which I have avoided it another month, I finally went in and did it. It wasn’t easy I’m telling you. I had to fast for twelve hrs, which I did while on night shift. That sucked. Being awake for twelve hrs and not eating anything truly is torture. Especially with the guys I work with. Knowing that I was fasting, they came in and ate in front of me and picked on me relentlessly. Plus since I divulged my fear of needles to them, they told me horrors stories and ridiculed me all night. What asses. Good natured, but it still sucked. I went in in the morning and as I sat waiting I started sweating, breathing heavy and having racing thoughts. I was light headed when I got up to follow the nurse. When we got in I was almost in a frenzied state. I told myself that I was just going to shut-up and go through with it, but I just couldn’t. I told her that I was very fearful of needles and if there was an easy way of doing it hat I would much appreciate that treatment. I felt like such a puss. I told her that I knew it was irrational to be scared but that I just couldn’t help it. She was very nice and coddled her little crybaby like I was a fragile toddler. She went back and forth between both arms trying to find a good vein so she didn’t have to dig me. She put it in and it didn’t even hurt. I felt like such a punk. God, what is wrong with me? I’m a grown damn man. Anyways it is over and I dealt with it

3 comments:

Nunya said...

ha, ash - my son is the same way! i finally traded a pierced eyebrow for a commitment to get the blood draw. rob says he'd rather be punched in the head than have a needle poke him.

good news is next time you may not be as panicked beforehand?

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a bad panic attack! Do you get those very often, or was it from the guys scaring you half to death? I don't understand why guys are like that to each other.

I hate the rushing thoughts going through my head, but people seem to like it when I'm talking and talking - they always think I'm so funny and exciting. I hope by the time you read this, your mind will have calmed down! Are you sleeping okay?

Butterfly said...

So, I think I've got you beat on the needle thing.

I've had 2 get poked twice this month and have 2 more time coming up.

Here's my method:
1. Have them use a butterfly needle.
2. Wear sunglasses and turn your head.
3. Wear an ipod and crank it up to hella loud!